Drop Culture
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» building a new box
New Member with engine issues EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 9:41 am by nigel

» come on people
New Member with engine issues EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 7:44 pm by nigel

» 2.3l turbo
New Member with engine issues EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 3:17 pm by nigel

» amp rack
New Member with engine issues EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 3:13 pm by nigel

» L8esT cRayZ 10
New Member with engine issues EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 12:11 pm by BIG RICH

» Drift Event Last Weekend
New Member with engine issues EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 5:42 am by mafiafran

» my 91.......................
New Member with engine issues EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 5:41 am by mafiafran

» wts or wtt 1996 ranger splash 3k obo
New Member with engine issues EmptyThu May 27, 2010 3:48 pm by rlr023

» PlEASE READ A MEMBER HAS FALLEN.
New Member with engine issues EmptyWed May 26, 2010 7:12 pm by yannijoe201

» pointless thread
New Member with engine issues EmptyFri May 21, 2010 11:34 pm by lwrlvl

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Gallery
New Member with engine issues Empty
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Drop Culture on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Drop Culture on your social bookmarking website

New Member with engine issues

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TrixR4Kids
100 Club
100 Club
TrixR4Kids

Number of posts : 123
Club : Lone Wolf
Vehicle : 1986 B2000
Registration date : 2007-08-17

PostSubject: New Member with engine issues   New Member with engine issues EmptyFri Aug 17, 2007 2:04 am

Hi,
I just bought a 1986 B2000 with 174,000 for $600. I've had the truck for two weeks and have just been trying to clean things up a bit and decide what the plans are for the truck. My immediate goal is to have it static dropped, run some chrome esky's and a paint job. Anyway, it drove just fine till yesterday. Now it won't pull past 3K RPM's and smokin like a chimney.

I've read it could possibly be the cats fried or just that the engine is just tired and needs to be replaced. The muffler looks like it has been recently replaced but the cat looks kinda old. I was just going to take it off and gut it for now and hope it comes back to life. Is there a precat and the mid mounted cat with this truck? Any other suggestions, tips or ideas? Thanks. Here is a pic of the day I brought it home. Love that tool box huh?

New Member with engine issues Dsc_0110New Member with engine issues Dsc_0111New Member with engine issues Dsc_0112
Back to top Go down
Byron
Admin
Admin
Byron

Number of posts : 1335
Club : No Club, Just Cruising.
Vehicle : 89 Honda CRX si
Registration date : 2007-07-17

PostSubject: Re: New Member with engine issues   New Member with engine issues EmptyFri Aug 17, 2007 2:11 pm

that truck has 2 cats. one botlted to the ex mani and one undr the cab. most likely the first one is shot. does it have any power b4 3000k or is it weak to that point?
Back to top Go down
http://www.williambyronsmith.com
TrixR4Kids
100 Club
100 Club
TrixR4Kids

PostSubject: Re: New Member with engine issues   New Member with engine issues EmptyFri Aug 17, 2007 2:46 pm

Byron wrote:
that truck has 2 cats. one botlted to the ex mani and one undr the cab. most likely the first one is shot. does it have any power b4 3000k or is it weak to that point?

Driving around under 2K RPM's it is moving well under it's own power. As you drive to about 2.5K RPM's it starts to want to choke itself out and at 2700 it just won't gain any more immediate power. Sitting in neutral at a light it free rev's to 4-5K effortlessly except the black smoke starts up.

The fuel pump, filter and plugs were changed right before I bought it as a side note. How do you take out the 1st cat if that is the problem? Any idea's?
Back to top Go down
Byron
Admin
Admin
Byron

PostSubject: Re: New Member with engine issues   New Member with engine issues EmptyFri Aug 17, 2007 3:26 pm

it sounds like the cat me. i'd also lean toward it being the the first one. to get it out... there are 3 bolts holdn it to the ex mani and then the piping at bottom has 2 bolts (i think). there is also a bracket that attaches to the side of the block from the cat, 2 bolts. not too bad to get out, as long as it's not too rusty. rust = pain in the butt. good luck.
Back to top Go down
roadracer
Admin
Admin
roadracer

Number of posts : 1209
Club : condition critical
Vehicle : 91 b 2200/ 89 b 2200 ext cab/ 09 honda odyssey
Registration date : 2007-07-27

PostSubject: Re: New Member with engine issues   New Member with engine issues EmptyFri Aug 17, 2007 10:41 pm

pull it off and put a header on it. you can get a pacesetter for about 150-160 shipped.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dropculture.com
TrixR4Kids
100 Club
100 Club
TrixR4Kids

PostSubject: Re: New Member with engine issues   New Member with engine issues EmptyFri Aug 17, 2007 11:00 pm

roadracer wrote:
pull it off and put a header on it. you can get a pacesetter for about 150-160 shipped.

Right now i am just hoping I'm not looking at an engine swap. If the cat is the problem or something minor that would be just great with me. More interested in getting suspension done, wheels, paint and stereo in right now. Weather is still good for crusing a few more months and I would like to look good doing it.
Back to top Go down
roadracer
Admin
Admin
roadracer

PostSubject: Re: New Member with engine issues   New Member with engine issues EmptyFri Aug 17, 2007 11:04 pm

check the lobes on your cam as well. mine started doing kind of the same thing youre talking about, and found the last 2 lobes scratched up.
Back to top Go down
TrixR4Kids
100 Club
100 Club
TrixR4Kids

PostSubject: Re: New Member with engine issues   New Member with engine issues EmptySat Aug 18, 2007 1:48 am

If i need to replace internal parts or buy a rebuild one I may just have to step up and drop in a 1986 TPI L98 I have that is already to go into something. I would rather my son learn to drive a mild powered ride with a manual trans though.

I have been reading about other swaps too, so much to learn.
Back to top Go down
TrixR4Kids
100 Club
100 Club
TrixR4Kids

PostSubject: Re: New Member with engine issues   New Member with engine issues EmptySat Aug 18, 2007 6:44 pm

UPDATE: Well there is a early and late version of the exhaust system on '86 trucks appararantly. Mine is early and there is no precat. The exhaust system on a 20+ year old truck is pretty fragile and broken or stripped bolts were the word of the day. Got the cat off and it was totally gummed up. I'll use it during the next solar eclipse to look though and i will be fine.

There was just a little bit of light shining though, other that that caked solid. I snapped one of the bolts though and just left if off till next week when I have time to gut it and try to drill out the broken bolt and re-install it. Surprisingly not very loud.

The truck runs better now than it ever has since I got it. Black smoke has been replaced with grey but at least it's not rolling smoke than throws up a smoke screen like in a war movie.

I bought some lowering blocks today and played with the torsion bars a little. Time to get that part finished for now and on to bigger things. Thanks for all the help. DC ROCKS..

Last edited by on Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Byron
Admin
Admin
Byron

PostSubject: Re: New Member with engine issues   New Member with engine issues EmptySat Aug 18, 2007 8:48 pm

glad you found the problem.
Back to top Go down
roadracer
Admin
Admin
roadracer

PostSubject: Re: New Member with engine issues   New Member with engine issues EmptySat Aug 18, 2007 10:42 pm

post up some pics of your current altitude.
Back to top Go down
TrixR4Kids
100 Club
100 Club
TrixR4Kids

PostSubject: Re: New Member with engine issues   New Member with engine issues EmptySun Aug 19, 2007 12:30 am

roadracer wrote:
post up some pics of your current altitude.

SkyHigh and nowhere to go but down. I got some 3" blocks this afternoon but after wrestling with the exhaust for several hours I called it a day. The guy that helped today I am trying to get together with tomorrow at his house and put the blocks in. He has air tools and that is just so better than what we did earlier.

I am still a little confused with the torsion bar re-indexing. I am a visual guy, show me a picture that goes alot farther than than just telling me what to do. As soon as i get it dropped I will be putting up pictures right away though. Maybe another week, hopefully in tomorrow though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Member with engine issues   New Member with engine issues Empty

Back to top Go down

New Member with engine issues
Page 1 of 1